Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Christmas Toy Frustration

Sometimes I get seriously aggravated about stupid things. Well, let's be honest I get seriously aggravated about a lot of stupid things! So with that fact aside, here is my gripe this time. One of my all time favorite movies (dare I say, my most favorite movie), was recently released on DVD, which I am elated about! However, when comparing the VHS version of the movie that I bought last year and the new DVD version, there was a very NOTICEABLE difference! What have they done with Kermit?

The Christmas Toy, a Jim Hensen movie, used to be hosted at the beginning of the movie by none other than a festive Kermit-Santa and ended up with a sing a long with the jolly green fella himself. However, in the new DVD release, Kermit has been given the shaft! There is no Kermit action to speak of in this movie anymore, which I find tragic, since it no longer ties to the rest of the "muppet" family without that very important tie.

In some quick research, I was able to locate the problem. Kermit is now owned by Disney and you guessed it...the people putting this fabulous movie out on DVD didn't get rights from Disney for him, so he got the axe! I think it is tragic. I think there are just somethings in this world that are sacred and this is one of them. From my short research session at lunch, this movie was only shown perhaps once or twice on television (which would explain why everyone I ask if they have seen it has not), and would lead me to believe that those who are most likely going to purchase it are those die-hard fans like myself.

For the love of all things, why can't they just leave the movies that we know and love in their original state so that we can continue to love them year after year? Stupid rights....and even more stupid business deals...stupid corporate america and their trademarks! Urgh. It's like having Sesame Street without Big Bird or Oscar the Grouch. Common people!

Well, apparently friends at the local YouTube have offered a solution and have the entire, full version, movie available online. So, hopefully, there will be thousands that will enjoy this movie the way it's creator Jim Hensen intended.

1 comment:

Mark A. said...

i guess that's what we get for letting ourselves get attached to corporate-created objects that were made for one purpose only: make money.