While modern technology has given cell phones capabilities that many never dreamt they would, I have recently started using mine as a second alarm clock. Real sophisticated, I know. My real alarm clock is set to go off at 5:15 in the morning, but as I have been accustomed to doing, I hit the snooze about 6 times before I get up. Why do I have my alarm set so freaking early you ask? So that I can hit the snooze 6 times. The unfortunate thing about this is that the snooze is nine minutes long, so after the sixth time, that means I have gathered an extra 54 minutes of sleep that the rude alarm clock has tried to steal from me. Why is this unfortunate? Because, after careful study of said alarm clock, I have discovered that after 60 minutes has past from the original time you set that alarm for, if you have not gotten up by then, the snooze stops functioning and you over sleep. So by now, I should know that I need to stop at 5 times of hitting the snooze, but no...I figured a way around the dreadful sixth time and that is setting my alarm on my cell phone to go off another 45 minutes later. I COULD just reset the alarm on my alarm clock, since that is it's purpose, but it is such a lengthy process which never goes right when you are half asleep, that I have just turned to the cell for it's convenience. The cell phone has a snooze on it as well every five minutes. So just to catch you up...this morning...I woke up at 5:15, 5:24, 5:33, 5:42, 5:51, 6:00, 6:09....set my cell phone for 6:45, woke up at 6:50, 6:55, 7:00, 7:05 and finally rolled out of bed at 7:10....a full 1 hour and 55 mintes AFTER the original alarm. I occurs to me know, that perhaps I have a snooze addiction and should consider alternative methods of waking up instead of feeding the addiction...but it just feels so good to hit that snooze and snuggle down deeper in the warm blankets.
On to another topic...dreaming. I am one of those unfortunate people who remember a good majority of their dreams. I normally get the same response from everyone when I tell them this..."oh, I wish I could remember mine!". No you don't. I have dreamt every night since I was a little over 12. On an average night, I will rest, REALLY REST, for about 2-3 hours at best and then I dream for the rest of the night. While some think remembering would be wonderful, I say no, because I don't get cool surreal dreams. I don't get to have ninja's or anything neat. I get everyday dreams. Some nights, I go to work...take notes, think of things that I need to write down, actually get up and start looking for something in my desk....which is located in the office and not in my bedroom. Sometimes they are worse than that. I have watched those I love die. I have died. I have been bitten by a bear and have felt the flesh be torn away, entangled in his teeth. I have dremt of friends & lovers. I have dremt of enemies. Sometimes a dream is really good, the kind you wish you never had to wake from. Other times it is really bad and I wake in tears. Usually, it isn't all that entertaining. For the most part, I dream of issues that I don't want to face while I am awake. For instance, last night, I dreamt about a conversation that I have been fearing, because I know what I want to be the outcome of that conversation and in the dream it didn't go that way. There was a possibility of it going the way I wanted and I could see that...I could glimpse what could have been...but it didn't go that way because of the road block that is very much real. I don't want to have that conversation in real life, because I don't know the thoughts or feelings on the part of the second party and it scares me to death, plus I don't want to acknowledge what my subconscious has been telling me regarding the block. So instead of dealing with it during the wake hours...I deal with it at night. I had a conversation that felt so real, I woke up greiving it. The real stupid part about it all, is that while I sleep and dream, I know that I am dreaming, that none of what I am seeing is real. So yeah...if you are one of the lucky ones that go to bed and wake the next morning oblivious to the dreams you have had in the night...I envy you.
1 comment:
You're not the only one who dreams of day-to-day things. More than once I've had a dream that I went to school or work and went about my day, then went to sleep that night (in the dream), only to wake up thinking it was the next day. It's always a shock when you find out you have to live through Tuesday a second time.
Post a Comment