First, My Grandfather. My Grandad. Thales Smith.
I recently went to Alamosa, CO to visit with family, but also to visit my Grandad who had not been doing well.
While I was there, I was reminded on more than one occasion that I can hold my head up high being the granddaughter of Thales Smith. You mention that name to some folks out there and it would surprise you the amount of respect that it garners.
The respect of the name, comes from the respect of the man. In this life, it is hard to come by good honorable men, but I am lucky enough to be related and to have been raised by one. He is the essence of a gentleman. He was a hard worker & a wonderful provider for his little family. He is a trustworthy, honest man, who's handshake is his word and is stronger than any contract. He's funny and kind, but he knew how to lay down the law. He's just an all around good man, who treated people fairly, loved his neighbor, made friends quickly and cemented friendships that last lifetimes. He taught me many valuable lessons on what it was to be honorable and have integrity. Of course, the words that I have to describe him can't adequately describe him, but he truly is a great man and was my first experience with what a good man is supposed to be.
The second man, is my step-father, Gordon Lowe.
When I first met Gordon, I didn't like him. Still adjusting to my parents being divorced and carrying a great deal of anger, I was not the best judge of character and wasn't real excited about the fact that my mom was dating when it should have been me that was dating! haha.
To his credit, Gordon married my mother. Now this is not to say that my mother isn't worth marrying, because on her own, she totally is! Lol. What I mean is, Gordon married her and all of her kids.
In my past, I have known men that walk away from their responsibilities or deny their mistakes, and have chosen not to deal with them. Gordon was an example to me of what a good man was, because not only did he have his kids and his family, he took on my brothers and I. He loved and supported us. He was there for us when we needed the father figure we lacked.
You may wonder why I write this as though it were a huge herculean act. The reason is, it was. I made it the most difficult possible for my mother during their first years of dating and about the time the got married, I had started to mellow....a little. I was a very angry girl and did all in my power to cause havoc and stress. So I give credit where credit is due, because it took a strong person to be there for me when I would throw it back in his face.
He chose me as his family, has supported me as his own, loved me as though I were his daughter, seen me through good times and bad and let me cry on his shoulder. His example has meant a great deal over the years. And I love him more than he can know.
To these two men and the other good men I have known in my life (as I can think of a few others), Happy Fathers Day! Thank you for stepping up and being the men that we needed you to be!
1 comment:
the music on your blog didn't load up for a few moments, and i was suddenly wondering why "the way you make me feel" on my itunes was sounding differently....
seriously excellent post, brooke. way to be awesome.
and "why does it always rain on me" reminded me that i need to e-mail a friend; thanks.
Post a Comment