I finished my second dresser in 3 hours last night. While it was clearly a better time than the time spent on the first dresser, I wish it had only taken two. Ah well.
I have one complaint so far about my dressers. While assembling, you are required to put wooden dowels in certain holes to help with stability. Some of these dowels aren't exactly excited about being shoved into the hole you think they should be placed in, so a little encouragement from good 'ol mister hammer is required.
Now, I didn't thwack those puppies in. It was more of a firm, but gentle tapping into place. Or so I thought. However, when I flipped over the piece to place it on top of the dresser, it was clear that the dowel is entirely too close to the underside of the finished top and that the tapping had cracked the smooth finish of the top. Bummer. I did the same thing on the first one, but thought it was a screw that was over tightened and not the dowel.
Ah well. At least I bought the glass to go on the top of the dressers. I know nothing will catch on the cracked surface and tear away the finish for now, but in the long run, I may have to look at a solution with a resin surface or something.
While I am not happy about it, for the price and quality, I am not overly surprised. For now, that would be my only suggestion to Ikea: Make the tops a little thicker or your dowels not as long.
Oh, and one more thing: The size is considerably larger than the dresser I am currently using. Next to these two behemoths, it looks small and cumbersome.
Now that you are thoroghly bored with my recent posts, let me thank you for indulging the builder in me. There is something so satisfactory in stepping back after completing a project and saying to yourself "look at what I can do".
No comments:
Post a Comment