Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Told you so...

Last Friday night I had the pleasure of going to see They Might Be Giants in concert. Aside from some pain in my neck, it was a relatively enjoyable experience.

They Might Be Giants have always been a near & dear band that is close to my heart ever since I have listened to them back in Junior High.

As the band began to play the entirety of the Flood album that they had put out nearly 20 years ago, I closed my eyes and swayed to the music. I didn't see or feel the crowds of people all around me.

I was taken back to another time and place:

Hot summer nights, riding in the back of Spencer's truck.
Playing kick-the-can (or rather touch-the-can, since it was a large garbage can) in the duck park, and savoring the rush of adrenaline, I watched the others run from their hiding places, as I crouched in the dense undergrowth that was my hiding place.
Standing next to the train tracks with my arms held wide, as the train flew by, loud and threatening.
Making wish after wish on shooting stars.
My first kiss from my first love.
Late nights in the drive through of Taco Bell as we discussed the whereabouts of the stray cat who used to always be in the parking lot. We took bets on who's food he'd ended up in.
The Simpsons reruns late at night. They were just as good then.
My hand in his and feeling so small...

The music thumped my past life into the present, while I breathed deeply the mist from the fog machine and watched as the confetti fell from the ceiling. My memories and I danced together...


One of the benefits of going to a live concert is, aside from getting to see a band you really enjoy, is getting to experience new music.

The Guggenheim Grotto went on before They Might Be Giants and unlike all previous experiences, I was a little prepared for their sound and feel. I had the forethought to look up who was opening for TMBG and then went to TGG's website and listened to their music. From what I heard I liked.

Hearing them on stage though was quite a treat. Originally from Ireland, their music was full of great harmonies and ballads. I bought both of their cds and the couple of songs that weren't on the cds from itunes. So far, I have not regretted the decision at all. More than one of their songs has struck a chord with me and I would like to share one of my favorites. I hope you like it too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdAu2MFf1EE

The Guggenheim Grotto
Told You So

When the world is wide, wicked and wild
and watching my every move
I gather thoughts of you and that's what lovers do.

You've said before every act is a war
and every shade, just another shade of blue
you'd have me walk with you and that's what lovers do

Told you so, I'm in love with you...
told you so and I bet you love me too...

When you go walking away with the wind and the waves and
flirting with your feet,
you take a part of me and that's what lovers feel

And when you come upon a time and place sublime and it
shows you something real
you with me there to see and that's what lovers feel

Told you so, I'm in love with you...
told you so and I bet you love me too...

At a party I've thrown the morning has grown and
someone's going your way
you tell them you'd rather stay and that's what lovers say

So to the garden we go, quiet and slow and we
watch the world awake
you know I love you for loves sake, isn't that what lovers say?

Told you so, I'm in love with you...
told you so and I bet you love me too...

1 comment:

--jeff * said...

dang. i'm glad you came. : )