Well ladies & gents, the time has come for me to give my report. After having a good deal of sleep and food, I am now better in charge of my faculties to try and give my unbiased (or partially unbiased) opinion of the movie The Twilight Saga: New Moon and the New Moon Experience.
I think the best place to start is going to be the movie.
So here's my review of the movie:
All in all, I liked it. (I know...you are shocked)
Here's a few of the reasons why:
Bella's blinking issue has apparently gone away, as has her incessant stuttering issue, which prevented her from stringing two words together coherently.
The vampires look more like vampires....in that they are slightly more unsettling when looking at them. You know there is something off...but putting your finger on it is the tough part...until it's too late.
The world does not come in different shades of blue, but rather the entire color spectrum.
The dialog is easier.
The music flows well with the story and is almost a character in itself (in some places) that describes exactly what is going on.
The action in the movie is stellar and adds so much.
Now, I must state that all of this is based off of only one showing. I know, I know...you cannot believe that I didn't see it five times in a twenty-four hour period like I did last year. Sadly, a rather unpleasant sinus infection, coupled with an incredibly sore body that was the result of a fabulous dance party, limited my capabilities for multiple views. This is something I hope to remedy shortly.
I think the new director has made a world of difference. The acting was tremendously better and I am a firm believer that bad acting is a result of bad directing, so a new director would explain the improvement there. The story was a bit rushed, and if you aren't well versed in what is going on, you might want to get a run down from someone who does prior to seeing the flick, so that your enjoyment may be enhanced. However, a rushed storyline is to be expected since there is a lot to get through in a short amount of time. I struggled in parts to connect with the angst of the characters and I believe that is in part to the rush of the story and part due to the acting. Seeing as how I am not an actor though, and not trying to please countless extremely picky fans, I will try and cut the actors some slack.
I went to the midnight opening show with my good girlfriends of the NRG. We were in a theater that Events By Alice rented out and it was packed with fellow Twilightmoms. I love experiencing the movie for the first time in this type of environment, because your emotions tend to feed, even subconsciously, off of the emotions of others around you also viewing it for the first time. It's a cool experience.
While I was pleased with the first movie when it first debut, I have picked it apart with the strictest of critics since then, and believe me...we do a much tougher job than riff tracks any day, and I still like it. I don't expect this to be much different. I will always like the movie, but at some point, I wouldn't doubt that I will have a list of flaws or "cheese" issues that I wish were fixed.
All in all, the plot was easier to follow, the colors better, better action, and was the acting better. The CGI was improved as well, and while it still left something to be desired when the vampires are in the sun, the wolf transformations and action sequences were tremendous.
I left the movie encouraged and excited to see the next installment, which I found out to my great pleasure, will be in June. I just hope the new director for that film, David Slade (who was the director of 30 Days of Night, a horror flick), will do a great job as well.
The box office results and comparisons (as reported on Twilightmoms.com last night):
Midnight Showings:
Twilight - $7 Million
New Moon - $26.2 Million
Opening Day:
Twilight - $35.7 Million
New Moon - $72.7 Million
Opening Weekend:
Twilight (US & Canada) - $69.7 Million (3,419 theaters)
New Moon (US & Canada) - $140.7 Million (4,024 theaters)
New Moon's opening weekend has earned it a place in entertainment history. EW's Box Office Report is reporting that New Moon grossed an estimated $140.7 million at the box office this weekend and is now "the biggest autumn opening weekend in history and the third biggest three day debut ever." And New Moon is ranked third in overall opening weekend rankings, just behind The Dark Knight and Spider Man 3.
Worldwide estimates are that New Moon's opening weekend box office totals are around $258.8 million. Twilight's total worldwide gross was $383.5 million. In one weekend, New Moon has brought in over 67% of Twilight's total box office sales.
And keep in mind, Twilight's opening weekend accounted for 36% of it's total sales. If that trend continues, New Moon could be on it's way to grossing over $300 million domestically (Twilight's domestic total was $192.7), not to mention the worldwide totals added in there.
2 comments:
I totally agree with you. This movie was so much better then Twilight, which was awful. This movie did feel rushed, but I thought it was just me, cuz I really needed to tingle. I'm worried too about the next director, I really hope he doesn't feel the need to make it really scarey.
very cool. i'm.....(line?)... glad you got be a part of the.... (line?)... premiere excitement and contribute to the....(line?)... massive.....(line?)... opening.
in my film theory class, we had to develop our own theory on how we experience movies, and i talked about how the context and environment in which we watch is almost as important (if not more) than the movie itself. getting to see a movie that's part of a cultural phenomenon in a place like that is part of what makes movies so much fun.
way to support what you love.
we'll invite you over when we watch it on dvd in a few months.... : )
pie.
Post a Comment