Saturday, April 21, 2012

Modern Day Translation

I have a moment, so I thought I would write about something that has had me in hog heaven lately! Google Translate. Can I just say...AMAZING! Ok...so I know, I am the slow one on the block, but still...give me a break!

Why is Google Translate so important lately? At least a year ago...or maybe like two or almost three...I forget...I found a crochet pattern of a girl that I wanted to crochet. After several searches in vain, I FINALLY found it! I was in dithers! And with it, I found the Blog of the author and have been one of her faithful blog stalkers ever since. I immediately ordered her book and had it shipped to me...all the way from Sweden! However, there was a wrinkle in my plan..(and you being the smart readers that you are can probably see it already)...the pattern and the book it comes in are all in Swedish. I don't know swedish...sigh. And for the longest time, the book has sat on the shelf not being used. At one point or another, book two and three from the author were also added to the shelf. No...I didn't know how to read swedish yet...but by golly I loved her patterns and someway or another, it was going to happen!

Well, I am here to tell you folks, that dreams DO come true! With the help of Google translate and the language changer on my my keyboard of my laptop (I am sure there is a technical term for this, but I don't know it and am too lazy to look it up right now), I can type in Swedish and get the English translation!! While it may not be exact, it's fairly close and I can gather what the author is saying.

So with this handy dandy modern day Urim & Thumim I can turn this:


Större Amigurumis
Storleken på amigurumi beror förutom på mönstret, så klart, även på vilket garn du väljer. Många vill virka stora och gosiga amigurumis och blir lite besvikna när deras figurer i slutänden inte blir mer än 25 cm långa, och frågar efter större mönster. Visst kan man göra mönster på gigantiska figurer men vem orkar virka ett huvud där ett varv är på 150 maskor och det sen ska upprepas 10 gånger?
Men, det finns en mycket enklare lösning! Använd ett riktigt tjockt garn så får du en väldigt stor figur men behöver inte jobba lika hårt. Leta efter ett garn där nål storleken som rekommenderas är större än 8mm, amigurumis virkade av sådant garn kan bli mer än tre gånger så stora som de virkade med tunt garn. En annan fördel är också att det går snabbare, du har ju mer att hälla i. Nackdelen är att det går åt mer garn men det kan man leva med när man sen har en jättestor kompis att krama.

And you get:

Larger Amigurumis
The size of amigurumi are not only due to the pattern, of course, also on the yarn you choose. Many people want to crochet big and cuddly amigurumisand get a little disappointed when their characters in the end no more than 25cm long, and asks for the larger pattern. Sure you can make patterns on thegiant figures but who dryers crochet a head where one turn is 150 stitchesand then be repeated 10 times?
However, there is a much simpler solution! Use a really thick yarn so you get a very large figure but does not work as hard. Look for a yarn in which theneedle size recommended is larger than 8mm, amigurumis crocheted of this yarn may be more than three times as large as the crocheted with thin yarn.Another advantage is that it is faster, you have more 
to pour in. The downside is that it takes more yarn but you can live with when you then have a hugefriend to hug.


You see what I mean? It's pretty fantastic!!!


I am going to start work on my first swedish translated pattern and will post the outcome! So Excited!!!


But seriously...can we just marvel for a moment about being able to understand what something says in another language with just the click of a button?? It's like I found the decoder ring at the bottom of my Cracker Jack box! Huzzah!! Oh and I found this pattern and it made my day even better!!


Cheers!

No comments: