Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Twilighter or Not?

Everyone who follows this blog undoubtedly knows the answer I would give when it comes to this question: Twiligher or Not?

I am a Twilighter. Or am I? I had to laugh, because I recently (perhaps while reading the Twilight News websites, what of it?) found a blog that had me rolling on the floor laughing so hard. The name of the blog is Twilight Widowers Anonymous (http://www.twilightwidower.blogspot.com/) and it is written from the male perspective of someone that is involved with a half-crazed, obsessed Twighlight fan.

Of course, this is not the first blog I have seen that follows this "anti-twilight, I miss my wife (or girlfriend)" theme. However, this one made me really laugh, because despite the fact that it was indeed poking fun, it was doing it in a funny and truthful manner that was refreshing. All to offen a blog similar in kind, goes on and on in a negative tirade about the books and the movies, etc. For some reason, for me at least, when it is spun in a comedic fashion, I don't mind it.

However, one of the posts made me laugh hysterically (alright, more than one...whatever). Twilight Denial.

I have been in this position. I am having a conversation with someone and suddenly it turns to the topic of Twilight and the opposite person starts going on and on about how they dislike Twilight...blah, blah, blah. Most of the time, I will usually debate with people on different topics, not necesarily to change their minds on the subject, but more to defend my preference for it. The compulsion to defend my viewpoint is waining, though, and I find myself not saying anything because I don't really care what the other person thinks and secretly...I don't want them to know.

What gets me more than anything is, that on some subconcious level, I have been thinking that I am not a SUPER fan. I am not one of those ladies that you see on the TV getting their chests signed or have the signature tattooed to them once they have it. Ok, that's true. However...I have started to notice a couple of things and I am a little worried.

1) When people talk to me, the usually go right to Twilight, because they know that's what I like. My concern is that it seems to be the ONLY thing they talk with me about and I realize that aside from my Twilight fascination, they have no clue what I like or do with my life on a day to day basis.

2) I looked at my keys the other day and I have not one, but THREE things attached to my keychain that are twilight related.

3) I went through my closet and I have at LEAST four shirts that either I have made regarding my Twilight obsessiveness (for trips or release parties, etc.) and I can't wear them in public because...I don't really like those "looks" you get. Clearly they were good enough to make for those occations, but that perfectly good and new shirt that was worn less than a dozen times is no longer usable, because it says "TEAM EDWARD...because I'm into biting".

4) My vacation trip is once again this year to visit a real place for a fictious reason. Well...actually on this one I waiver quite a bit. While I AM going to Forks again this year, I am more going because I fell in love with just how beautiful it is in the Olympic Peninsula and what could be better than going with a big group of good friends? But I do have to include it for two reasons 1) the group of friends I am going with I never would have met had it not been for my "Twilight Issue" and 2) whenever anyone asks "Forks? Where's that? What for?"...my first response is to go into detail about Twilight, instead of spewing out information about the local beaches, rainforest, tide pools, etc.

5) I was the first person to have the Cullen decal placed on my car and I know this, because before you could ever really get the logo of the crest at all, I was able to aquire it an have a custom decal made. Now that it is peeling off of my car, I have had this huge internal dilema about if I should take it of, leave it on till it's gone or replace it as fast as possible. I mean I love it...but do I really want it on my car anymore??

6) The five people I am going to Forks with or have been to Forks with are part of a gang and currently the president (leader, founder...whatever) of that gang is...me. I qualify it as a gang because we have jackets, and as anyone who has seen Grease knows...you are a gang if there are jackets involved.

7) When looking at my iPod "Top 25 Played", most, if not all, of the music listed there happens to be something I found on the lists of songs that Stephenie Meyer listed on her website as her "playlist" for the books or right off of the Twilight soundtrack.

8) I gave serious thought about WHERE I wanted to buy my copy of the movie, because at the different retailers, there were different options that came with the movie. Extensive research was involved. I chose to go with Target, because you get a copy for your iPod.

Those are just a few of the reasons that I have...but seriously, I have to laugh at myself, because here I was thinking I was a fan, but it was nothing too serious and not a big deal. Clearly the evidence is against me.

Anyway, my point was, that I first I marked myself as a fan, but now...when the opposition is so high and sharing your view point will only spark the contraversy to life, I have started to avoid the subject all together, because the social perspective of Twilight is that it is an inferior book/movie in the Vampire genre, when comparing to other Vampire tales.

I am a fan. A BIG one apparently...BUT at least I can say I am not the BIGGEST and by far the most obsessed fan and I am now trying to keep it a secret from all those who don't know.

It could be worse...I could be a fan of Star Trek or Star Wars. Yikes. I think I will take Vampires any day.

For those of you who fall into the "I don't know what to say to this Twilight addicted person, so let's only talk Twilight" category (not that there's anything wrong with that!), here are some tidbits for you:

1) Favorite number: Lucky Number 7
2) Favorite flower: Plumeria or Calilily
3) Favorite color: Blue
4) Favorite music: anything with a good beat that you can move and groove to
5) I crochet, knit, shoot, go camping, travel, and love flying
6) I love my kids (and if you didn't know I had kids...well, ask me about them)

No comments: