Monday, July 20, 2009

Let the adventure never end...


For anyone that knows me, you know that I am a pretty decent reader. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I am an avid reader, because there is a great deal of my time NOT reading books. So I would classify myself as a decent reader.
My personal choice of diversion, I have noticed, goes in cycles and if something isn't quite finished during that cycle, it gets set to the side till that cycle comes back around. The cycles I frequent are reading, knitting, crocheting, scrapbook crafts and an occasional quilting. If I start reading a book and then accidentally change cycles, well...it waits to be read till another day.
I have recently discovered the joy of books on iPod. This method lets me digest the book that I am longing to read AND let's my hands stay free to finish other projects that I may be working on. I realize that books on tape or books on CD have been around for a while, but for some reason, I have never really taken advantage of them till now.
I am a strange reader, or that is to say, that most people I have mentioned this to, find me strange. The oddity that I am talking about is that I enjoy reading the same books over and over. In book collection, I really only have a handful of book series that I like to read time and time again: Harry Potter Series, Twilight Series, The Host, The Jane Austen Collection, The Chronicles of Narnia Series, The Work and The Glory Series and a handful of other books that aren't as widely known or that I can't remember at the moment.
I enjoy re-reading stories over and over. Prior to Harry Potter, I was not really into the series books. I remember the first time I read Harry Potter and The Sorcerers Stone. I was on a road trip with some friends to California to spend Thanksgiving in Huntington Beach. I remember thinking that I probably wouldn't really enjoy this book, because from all accounts, it was a children's book. Needless to say that by the time we reached Las Vegas and the Smelting Stick...I was hooked.
We finished The Sorcerer's Stone and half of The Chamber of Secrets by the time we got back (we only read while we were driving there and back). Upon our return, I purchased copies for myself and was quickly done with The Chamber of Secrets. What a fabulous fictitious little world this was that we received from J.K. Rowling!
As the years rolled on, and new books came out, I would re-read the series for every new addition. Currently to this date I have read The Sorcerer's Stone 10 times, The Chamber of Secrets 9 times, The Prisoner of Azkaban 6 times, The Goblet of Fire 5 times, The Order of the Phoenix 4 times, The Half Blood Prince 3 times and The Deathly Hallows 2 times.
I usually let quite a bit of time go by between readings and visit other series that I have neglected while reading this series.
In trying to get ready for the new Harry Potter film that was just released, I decided to listen to the books all the way through once more. I finished the books on Sunday night. I had forgotten what a fantastic writer the author was!
Having read the last three books of the series the fewest number of times, listening to it this time was like a completely new book. I had forgotten all the details from the past and it was a whole new joy ride. The twists and turns of the plot where new and different, unexpected and fogged in my memory from the excess of time between readings.
I, once again, loved the series all the way through. I love the way the writing progresses and grows with each volume, as though it grows up with the characters that are in the story. I loved the characters even more! I laughed when they laughed & I cried with despair at their losses that seem to increase as the series continues. I have gotten so tied to characters in the past that when the journey ends, I am almost forlorn at the loss of their companionship.
This happens with most of the books that I read and I blame an overactive imagination that makes reading these kinds of books so enjoyable.
The reason I mentioned my "hobbies" cycle above, is that during this reading of Harry Potter, it was a little more special. When the Prisoner of Azkaban came out in movie form, I was working on knitting a scarf that resembled the pattern from The Sorcerer's Stone. I fashioned it in the Ravenclaw colors (movie colors, not book colors) and enjoyed it so much, I decided I needed to have the Prisoner of Azkaban scarf in Gryffindor colors. So I started an additional scarf. I believe I started that second scarf mid to late 2005.
I just finished it. LOL.
I got to about The Order of The Phoenix before the desire to finish it hit me again, but then I was able to work on it while I listened to the story and it was a fantastic thing, because it really tied me to the story. Like I was there and a part of it, working on my scarf for the following school year! As I got a little way through it though, I decided that I wasn't going to keep it, but rather give it to a friend of mine, who like me, is a fairly avid fan of the series, but is more discreet when it comes to his public displays of support. I never did see the point of getting lightening bolt earrings...
Anyway, I hope that as the years go on, I will find more stories that are as near and dear to my heart as this story is.
Thank you to the imagination of those writers that make such a journey possible and thank you to my imagination for letting me enjoy these experiences!
I believe that imagination is stronger than knowledge -- myth is more potent than history -- dreams are more powerful than facts -- hope always triumphs over experience -- laughter is the cure for grief -- love is stronger than death. ~ Robert Fulghum

1 comment:

Wade and Ru said...

I am so right there with ya!