Friday, November 14, 2008

Thirsty...

In the very recent past, I have started to just not care who knows that I like the Twilight Saga books. Actually, like is a very subjective word. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was completely obsessed, but at the same time, I do have to say that I am more of a fan than most.

Sure, I have shirts that I have made referring to the book, not to mention the trip that I took to the location the book is set in, where I bought more sweaters than I care to remember with Forks or Quileute written all over them. So I have started my own little coven/gang within the Twilight community and when we get together it is nothing but chaos, which is slightly hilarious, because aside from me, they are all moms! And sure...I MAY have had a custom decal of the Cullen Crest created for my car; proudly bearing it since it was the first in our area. I have friends in a community of over 20,000 members strong, who were the first to report from the movie location and have been noted in several media stories and interviews by the cast and author of the series. And yes I have black contacts that I wear to the premiers; it is terribly fun to freak people out (but I think that may have something to do with just my twisted nature). I could go on...

But my point is...so what? I fail to see how different I am from any other joe schmoe. As I drive down the street I see decals on cars for all variations of sports teams, or brands that people love. I watch a football game and giggle at the people who have painted their faces or their bodies in the colors of the team that they favor as they scream, willingly, into the cameras that they are indeed number one, despite the rumors that the other team is in fact number one. Or how about all the guys that have kept up with all the sports scores over the years and can quote you a certain play of a certain game in a certain year....I don't see how different I am from them because I can quote parts of my favorite book or know specific facts that are always useful for extremely difficult trivia challenges.

How about we take a look at geek against geek then, how different am I than those fans who support the Batman, Spider man or Superman genre stickers, apparel and media?

My point is this: I am not different. I am no geekier than most people, but the stereotype that has been placed on this particular medium is compared to Star Trek or Star Wars geeks, which can sometimes give the implication that it isn't as cool. To that, I say bite it! Hahaha.

Vampires are my thing. And not only Twilight Vampires, but all vampires (or sophisticated ones at least...I don't like those mindless things that they put in scary movies that could be compared to a dog with rabies). Underworld, the Anne Rice Vampire Chronicles, The Kindred...Twilight. I like them all. They're dark, beautiful, seductive, brooding, dangerous hunters. Mesmerizing. Complex. Brilliant. Cold. Immortal. Siempre Vida.

So sure, you might call me a geek or you might call me strange & twisted. Whatever. It doesn't bother me. I am a geek and proudly so! Just know, if you are ever in a dark room around me, to watch your neck....because my eyes are black...I am thirsty....and yes...I do bite!


Hahahahahahaha....Twilight in Six days!!!

3 comments:

Chels said...

You are awesome in your geekiness!! I'm stalking your blog, hope you don't mind! I'll see you in 6 days chica!!

spongemommie05 said...

You go girl!!! i am right there with ya Baby ........ i love your picture .. i have not been able to talk to ya a whole lot lately so i am so beyond excited to hang out and cause chaos as ya know we can..Lol.... only a few more days .... and then watch out World..

Brooke said...

Chels...you KNOW I don't mind it when I am stalked, since I do so much of it myself! HAHAHAH

Misty....Watch out is kinda an understatement don't you think so? ;)